If you want to support the Earth Hour campaign tonight, you should switch off the unnecessary power source. We've heard about this thing since we were in NZ in 2007 when we celebrated Earth Hour during the last night of Waikato Balloon Festival. We were at Waikato University's field to watch the fireworks and also the Night Glow from the orchestrated music with the synchronization of the fire from the hot air balloons.
Here are some facts about Earth Hour:
The following are some facts on Earth Hour that would be interesting for everyone to know about.
- Earth Hour is celebrated on last Saturday of March every year for one hour in the evening starting from 8:30pm to 9:30 pm as per the local time zone
- The event is organized by World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF). It is also renowned as World Wildlife Fund
- Participants are asked to turn off their unessential lights during the event
- In 2007, WWF and The Sydney Morning Herald first conceptualized the Earth Hour. About 2.2 million people took part in the event
- Earth Hour 2011 will be held on 26 March 2011
- Earth Hour 2010 has been the biggest Earth Hour till date
- Total 128 countries took part in the event in 2010
- The energy demand minimized to 500,000 kilowatt per hour in Vietnam while the country took part in Earth Hour Event in 2010. The amount was three times more than the demand in 2009 when it joined the event for first time
- Around 4000 cities took part in the event.
Earth hour is a very important global event which is conducted by World Wildlife Fund. The organization World Wildlife fund is also called as World Wide Fund for Nature which is abbreviated as WWF. Earth hour is celebrated on the last Saturday of March every year.
The main concern of earth hour is to take larger level of awareness for the change of climate. In earth hour, the foremost action is taken as to turn off non-essential lights and other electrical appliances for one hour in all households and businesses. This is like offering an hour for further protection of the earth to reduce energy consumption as a whole. It is a unity towards the earth for less consumption of energy level.
TAKEN FROM: HERE
Let's do our part in reducing the energy consumption for the sake of our future and also the next generations' future.