In my previous entry abt "Series of unfortunate events", I've uploaded the birthday cake for my eledst daughter, Fathini that has sour cream icing. So, in this entry I would like to share some simple icing recipes. (sources from the internet and cooking books which I can't recall since I borrowed them from Hillcrest library).
If you would like to seal the cake and stop the crumbs working their way into the icing, you have to apply a glaze on it. Here's a simple glaze:
Ingredients: 1/2 cup apricot jam & 1tbsp water.
- Heat the apricot jam in a pan with the water.
- Rub through a sieve to remove any lumps.
- Return to the pan and heat until boiling before brushing carefully over the cake.
- 25g/2 tbsp of melted butter.
- 1 tbsp milk.
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted.
- Mix all the ingredients together and spread the icing on your cake.
- If you would like to add some colours, divide the icing into half and drop some food colouring on the mixture.
Sour cream icing-
- 175g sour cream. (or you can also use cream cheese)
- 1 1/2 cups (or less) of icing sugar.
- 1 tspn vanilla essence.
- 1-2 tspn lemon juice.
- Beat the sour cream and butter until smooth.
- Gradually add the icing sugar alternately with the vanilla and lemon juice, beating until light and creamy.
- Spread the icing over the cake.
Try this simple icing recipes when you make your home-made plain cakes like butter cake, chocolate cake or even for carrot cake. I personally prefer the sour cream icing and most of the time, I reduce the icing sugar because I don't have the sweet tooth.
walaupun ambo oghe Kelate, ambo tok make manis2 sgt. tok tahu bakpo. It's been my pleasure to share some simple cooking recipes as I believe that even with simple cooking, we can make it look and taste good when we keep trying and improving our cooking techniques. Betul tak?