Today is the first day of school after a long summer break here in NZ. Fathini who has turned 5 last month is supposed to attend a Primary school because that's what most parents here do. At the age of 5, the children will be placed in the Year 0. It's not compulsory to send our kids by the age of 5 but that's what most parents do here. NZ Ministry of Education stated that the compulsory age is 6 years old.
Why we decided not to send Fathini to a primary school? Is it because we are denying her right to receive formal education? Or I'm don't want to let Fathini go? Those aren't the reasons. Do you want to know the actual reasons?
Right. Let me justify our decision. Here are the reasons for not sending Fathini to a primary school here:
- we're going to be here only for another 3 months or so.
- it's too disruptive to her if she's going to a new school and get new friends and then she has to leave the school.
- we'll send to her to a pre-school centre in Malaysia for 2 years and she's going to receive fromal education too once she attend the pre-school. (tadika, tabika atau apa2 yg seumpamanya)
- she already have some good friends in Peachgrove playcentre. I want her to spend more time with her good friends before we going back for good.
- ermm that's all. You thought there's more reason? hehe
You need to know that the education here is quite simple. Their system is totally different from us. The children go to school to learn and enjoy themselves. The focus is not so much on the academic achievements but more on the overall achievements.
In better stop my ramblings here as I know that not all can endure a long....................................
entry. hehe. Until next time, Ka Ki Te Ano.
Some of Fathini's photos in Peachgrove Playcentre.