Check this out!

Click To View

A & N academic and scientific editing service

Contact us when you need someone to proof read or translate some documents.
http://www.annediting.com/index.html

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Who can see your hair?

Last week, I was quite stunned when one of my friends in the playcentre asked me few questions about headscarf (or what we call tudung). Here is basically what I could remember form my conversation with her. (can't reveal her real name so let's just call her "Mona")

Mona: Nura (they call me Nura there), who can see your hair?

Me: (I was stunned at first so I took some time before I gave the answer).
       Well, my husband, kids, siblings, father, grandfather if we are at home....and muslim women
        in secluded places.

Mona: Do you feel comfortable wearing that? (then she pointed to my headscarf)

Me: Yes, I do. I've been wearing this since I was 12.

Mona: When would you ask your daughters to cover their hair?

Me: When they reach the puberty age.

Mona: Why do Muslim women have different styles of covering?

Me: The basic requirement in Islam is to cover to whole thing except your face and two hands. This
       thing is actually up to their interpretation. As for me, I've tried my best to follow the basic
       requirement. Islam doesn't stop its followers to be stylish as long as they follow the requirements.

Mona: I hope you won't be mad at me for asking those questions. I'm just curious to know since
          you're the only Muslim here.

Me: It's all right. I don't mind at all. I'm glad to share what I know. (smiling to her)

So, what do you think? I've tried my best to explain and I hope I didn't give her wrong explanations.
It's true that I'm the only Muslim woman in the area who have joined the Pg Playcentre. We had another Muslim woman about a year ago but she seldom came to the session. Only her husband who always stayed and played with their kids. She didn't really know the other members and socialize with them. But in my case, I'm the one who get really involve with the place and I do have good relationships with the other members.

I think I want to share about this because I want to know:
  • do you think I've given the correct/exact explanations?
  • is there any other way to describe or explain about this?
  • what else should I do to give the best example as a Muslim there?
I feel somehow I'm representing the other Muslims in the place. That's why I always been careful
and cautious as I don't want to give them any wrong impressions on Muslims or Islam.

7 comments:

SJNathaniel said...

btul tu,terus cuba yg terbaik k,as good as u can.and take care always..

transformed housewife said...

thanks Mommy Yen

Nadiah Sidek said...

so far nadiah tak pernah lg ditanya soalan2 mcm tu. mau tergamam gak kot kalau tiba2 ditanya, nak2 kalau ditanya in english..payah la nk explain benda ni in english, takut diorang salah fhm lak..huhu

CatlinaFly said...

good explaination tu :) keep up the good work!

transformed housewife said...

Akk harap akk dah bg explanation yg betul la.
Cat: thanks. susah juga nak explain yg betul.

isabelle said...

that should be good enough.
giving a very deep explanation to a person like Mona might entangle the knot more.
good job.

hmm..i remember being asked such questions by christian/hindu frens in aussie.kalo yg byk membaca tu, senang nak explain. kalo yg bebal tu, aiyooo...jenuh!

transformed housewife said...

Isabelle,
nasib yg tanya tu mmg genuinely nak tahu. bukan saja suka2 je.